Monday, September 21, 2009

running a good race






"run uncle arne , run swift like the wind"

One of the great things about city life is that something interesting is always just around the corner... this Sunday it was the Berlin Marathon. Being more of an artistic type I've never really been swept off my feet by any sporting event. Yesterday, however, was different. I heard cheering, and looked over the balcony to see the first hand-bikes racing by, driven by paraplegic and amputee athletes. A little bit later, cheers grew louder and I peeked again, this time to see the first runners, led by Haile Gebrselassie, making it just past the half point. I quickly grabbed my keys and camera, and ran out the door. I found myself following a good part of the route, and then heading over to the finish lines, just beyond the Brandenburg gate. Over 40,000 runners participated, and it seemed like all of Berlin was there to cheer them on; Drummers, DJ's, flag wavers, and even a wind orchestra at the half point. It seemed like everyone was swept way in the excitement. What made me drop everything and spend my morning watching temporarily insane people run an infamous race? It seems that somehow the marathon, with it's ethos of endurance and perseverance is something that everyone identifies with in someway or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment