Saturday, April 16, 2011

Goats , Registries , and Marc Chagall

tumblr_lhcsifpRwd1qeo3bdo1_400

It never occurred to me to register for anything. Until generous souls started asking where we were registered, and until I saw this goat project ,
and then this explanation :

In Uganda, children with disabilities are an added responsibility for families already struggling to make a living. Due to the lack of understanding as to the cause of their differences, they are often feared and neglected because of traditional beliefs that their problems are due to "supernatural" causes. There are few support services and the children are usually not welcome in the available schools. As a result, children with disabilities are often hidden away to spare the family shame. With limited understanding about the capacities of children with disabilities, families have few expectations and the children have few opportunities.
After a child receives a goat so much changes!
The Give a Child a Goat Project elevates the status of children with disabilities and their families. A child with a disability who owns a goat holds a valued position in local Ugandan society, since goats provide families with a sustainable livelihood of food and milk. Caring for a goat gives a child self-confidence and pride and proves that he or she is capable of being a productive member of the community.
- The Polus center for economic development


Just so that we're clear, my motives are not pure. I've always wanted goats, but after one unsuccessful attempt at sheep raising , and a series of city apartments , I see no charming herds of goats in my near future. So this way I get my goats, the goats get to lead happy and fulfilling lives , and maybe tiny seeds of hope are planted where there was none. Sounds like a good deal to me.

The painting above is by Chagall of course , and I'm pretty sure he painted it just for me.
I leave you with this quote from "Notting Hill" :

“Anna Scott: I can’t believe you have that picture on your wall.

William: You like Chagall?

Anna Scott: I do. It feels like how being in love should be. Floating through a dark blue sky.

William: With a goat playing the violin.

Anna Scott: Yes - happiness isn’t happiness without a violin-playing goat.”


that is all






No comments:

Post a Comment